I’m participating in a 30 Day Living Mindfully Blog Challenge. This is my day 25 entry.
Surround shifts in setting (home to work, work to picking up the kids etc) and activities with mine spaces. What feels right for you? Closing your eyes, touching base with your breath, stretching, a mantra, a song, do whatever you feel is supportive.
As your prototypical introvert, I need space. Lots of it. Without it I get into this cranky, passive-aggressive mood that leave little room for sunny smiles or merry-making.
I can fake outgoing behavior for only too long. A bit of white wine is enough to break down my usual reserve and turn me into an engaged and engaging little chatterbox. I can withstand small talk and exchange quips about the weather with strangers like the most extroverted extrovert out there. But I’d need to decompress soon enough, or I’ll fall into pieces.
To become a fully functioning social animal (as needed), I must first (or belatedly) satisfy my alone time through any of these methods:
- Meditation. Nothing fancy. I just dedicate a few minutes on putting my full awareness on my breathe. I try to quiet the monkey mind by thinking of three things I’m grateful for (roof over my head, having a ref, running water – stuff like that).
- Yoga. I don’t do this often enough, but I always feel so much more alive after a session.
- Coffee shops. This is where I read & write. I know, it’s trite and unoriginal, but Starbucks is my oasis. I can always rely on decent service, good coffee, unobtrusive tunes, no weird smells (my olfactory senses are very sensitive), and of course: coffee!!
- Museums. I looove museums, especially the artsy fartsy ones. Pinto Museum in Antipolo is my haven.
- Libraries. How much more introverted can you get, right? Haha. I wish we had more decent libraries here in the Philippines. My dream is to one day visit the ones in New York city (they have sooo many there!) and Shakespeare & Company in old Pareeee!
- Quiet walk around the neighborhood. Or around a park, or anywhere with lots of greens or a spot near the ocean.